From:
"Effgen, A. B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:25:30 -0400
Thank you, Arianne, for the notice, and Steve for the additional links. I find it amazing that the history of the house mirrors the life of its owner, time and again. Ralph Ashcroft, anyone?

If there is some humor to be found in the situation it is in the Hartford Courant article from August 5:

"She also failed to pay federal taxes on the money she embezzled from 2002 to 2010 and underpaid her taxes by $322,970, according to the Internal Revenue Service."

I file a 1040 every year and have seen the line items accounting for tips, and for gambling winnings, but not the line for embezzled funds. Is there a separate schedule?

On another topic, related only by geography, should you find yourself in Hartford, around the time  Mr. Courtney gives another tour of Cedar Hill Cemetery in Hartford, I recommend you go. Best five bucks I've spent in quite a long time. Between Cedar Hill and Mount Auburn in Cambridge you can stand within six feet of the remains of almost every relevant person in Twain's New England life. Plus the number of Civil War enthusiasts who attend give you a real sense of nineteenth century facial hair.

Steve, my apologies for not writing a review sooner. My father and I arrived late, crept into the back of the pack, and had to leave to make a train upon conclusion. A beautiful day for a cemetery walk.

Then completely unrelated beside the name Mark Twain, I've got about 2,000 words to send to the MTF but not the time to write them. I'll give you the topic...Will Farrell is the Kennedy Center's choice for this year's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

Thoughts?

In disbelief,
Alex Effgen