From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:53:56 -0500
I've seen it, and what I saw was a bound typescript. It's in three volumes,
but I've only seen the first volume, which had some autograph insertions and
markings in the text. If I recall correctly, it opens quite easily and lays
flat. But I don't know who typed it or whether it was prepared for the US or
English editions (which makes a big difference). I doubt it was a first
draft, although it could have been typed up by somebody from Twain's
manuscript notes and drafts, the same way Life on the Mississippi was put
together by a typist under Twain's direction (I have two letters from Twain
to that typist spelling out specific directions). My guess is that it's
something prepared late in the creative process for a type-setter and/or
illustrator to follow.

I own two large photo mounting boards that Twain used to outline his ideas
and make notes from his readings for FTE. He made lists of words, events,
people, places, and a few phrases.  Vic Fischer (at MTP) and I made
typescripts of both of these boards a few years ago and MTP has copies. Why
did Twain use these large stiff cardboards for making his notes? My best
guess is that while traveling he found it easy to outline or make notes on
these boards and then use them as a sort of portable desk when he wrote out
his manuscript. It allowed him to check off an idea when he incorporated it
into his book.  He may have made more than two, but I only know of these two
that survive, and I don't know of similar boards for any of his other books.
They seem to capture the genesis of the book, the first scratchings in his
creative process, showing how he assembled his thoughts and organized his
words. Annotations in books from his library often show Twain noting an idea
or theme, or reacting to a text, but they don't reflect how he assembled
those notes into his own literary art.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books