Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:23:00 -0500
>Can anyone on the list tell me if the following quotation is really
>attributable to our guy:  "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
>something he can learn in no other way."  Just curious.  It sounds like
>Twain, but I've never encountered it before.  It may well be as spurious as
>the golf quotation he never uttered.

That's not the exact wording, but it's genuine. I found it on Barb Schmidt's
Twain Quotations site, attributed to Tom Sawyer Abroad:

" ... a person that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting
knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going
to grow dim or doubtful."

-- Bob G.