From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:10:53 -0500
     Thank you, Alan, for letting us know. Sad, sad news, indeed.
     Generous, gracious, welcoming, encouraging, thoughtful, helpful,
sharing . . doesn't even begin to describe Tom Tenney.
      Tom was the one who coaxed me into the Mark Twain Circle and all
but insisted I attend my first State of Mark Twain Studies conference in
1997. He'd helped me (of course) with Twain research, spending hours on
the phone, making suggestions and pointing out all sorts of wonderful
directions to follow. After a few of these conversations, he said in
that soft-spoken way (you know you can hear his voice), "You really
should join the Mark Twain Circle." When I protested that I was just a
writer, not an academic, he lured me in with: "You're just the type of
person we need in the Mark Twain Circle." I'm still not sure his
assessment was correct, but how was I not going to join after that? I
walked into the greater Mark Twain community (and it is pretty great, by
the way) because Tom Tenney opened the door, held it open, welcomed me
in and pulled me through. Forever grateful. For me, he will always
represent so much of what's so wonderful about those who share this
passion for Mark Twain.