Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 17:10:54 -0800
My experiences with Tom Tenney began in the mid-1980s with a telephone call placed to his home in Charleston. I was living in Massachusetts at the time and made the call (cold) during my lunch-hour. I had been bitten by the Mark Twain "bug" and was anxious to "talk shop" with someone knowledgeable. I had found his name and contact info while digging around at my local library. I had no idea what was in store. It was above and beyond anything I could have hoped or imagined. The call lasted the hour, and then some. It was like talking to a dear friend although we had not yet met.

In all the years since then--in the interim, my husband and I crossed paths with him at Elmira conferences, and in further calls and mailings he provided both encouragement and insights to me in my literary-research pursuits--my initial impression of him never changed. He was every bit in person as he was on the phone that first day; and those occasional one- and two- (or even three-?) hour phone calls over the years were but continuations of that original conversation. His scholarly enthusiasm, boundless energy, and gentle demeanor never wavered, and I am grateful beyond measure for the many kindnesses he extended to me.

M. L. Christmas