From:
Jim Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:57:17 -0400
Well done, John.  --Jim Leonard

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Twain Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Bird
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Save the University of Missouri Press--Facebook page and
Petition

Here is the letter I just sent the president of the university:

Dear President Wolfe:

I am Professor of English at Winthrop University in South Carolina and
the Vice President of the Mark Twain Circle of America, an international
organization with several hundred members. While I cannot speak for all
members of the Mark Twain Circle, I know I speak for the vast majority
when I say that we are very distressed at your recent decision to close
the University of Missouri Press, and we hope you will reconsider.

The press has a number of series, including Mark Twain and His Circle,
which is directed by Tom Quirk, Professor of English at University of
Missouri-Columbia. The University of Missouri Press has established
itself as the leading academic publisher of books on Mark Twain. They
published my book, Mark Twain and Metaphor, in 2007. The staff of the
press treated me and my book with utmost professionalism throughout the
process, from acceptance and editing through layout and production and
promotion.  All of the other Twain scholars who have published with the
press join me in saying that we are extremely pleased with the quality
of the work by all the staff.

Mark Twain is certainly among the most important and well-known
Missourians who ever lived. It is truly right and proper that the best
line of scholarly books on Mark Twain emanate from the state of his
birth, the state that contributed so much to his greatness as a writer.
If the University of Missouri Press does indeed close, books about him
will be published elsewhere. I consider that a crying shame and a huge
loss for your university and your state.

I join with the many voices who respectfully ask you to reconsider your
decision. The Mark Twain and His Circle series is only one of many that
will suffer if the University of Missouri Press ceases to exist.

Sincerely,
John Bird
Vice President, Mark Twain Circle of America Professor of English
Winthrop University Rock Hill, SC 29733 [log in to unmask]