From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:32:32 +0000
One way to measure political/policy influence is to see whether congressmen quote Twain during debates.  I spent a lot of time reading the Congressional Record while I was researching God's Arbiters, and I was struck by the number of classical authors from whom those guys could--and did--quote.  Further research showed me that they were quoting from snippets of classical works they had all studied in school--mostly in rhetoric texts--long passages of which they had to memorize.  I guess if you are a politician that stuff stays with you.

In any case, this would mean reading through Congressional Records not from Twain's own time, but in the years after, as he moved from being a contemporary figure into being a cultural icon--and as his works became canonized and included in textbooks.  I wouldn't recommend trying to read all of the Cong Recs from the 20th century (they go on, and on, and on) but it might be interesting to isolate a couple of hot political topics on which Twain had been known to write and investigate them within a particular time-frame.  Another strategy might be to start with textbooks that include Twain's works, and then see if quotes from those works show up in congressional speeches 20-30 years later.

Just a thought.  --susan harris

Susan K. Harris