From:
"Brent M. Colley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2017 18:44:28 -0400
"Jean's Farm" was sold by Sam to help finance the Mark Twain Library
in Redding.

Jean arrived in Redding in April of 1909 and died in December of 1909.
Sam wrote his attorney to sell the farm just prior to his death in 1910.

Jean did enjoy this farm and it was a very positive experience for her
while she was here.

Fast forward to the 1940's-50's and enter Allen and Helen Hermes. They
bought the property and created what is for sale today. What is of
interest for Twainiacs is that they gave to the Mark Twain Library and
it is their name that is associated with the Mark Twain Library Art
Show (a yearly & important fundraising event).

About a decade or so ago, Helen Hermes sold the house and property for
the benefit of the Mark Twain Library. I found that of interest
because Sam sold the property for the same reason. It came full circle.

To Charles T. Lark, in New York:

HAMILTON, BERMUDA. April 6, 1910.

DEAR MR. LARK,--I have told Paine that I want the money derived from
the sale of the farm, which I had given, but not conveyed, to my
daughter Jean, to be used to erect a building for the Mark Twain
Library of Redding, the building to be called the Jean L. Clemens
Memorial Building.

I wish to place the money $6,000.00 in the hands of three trustees,--
Paine and two others: H. A. Lounsbury and William E. Hazen, all of
Redding, these trustees to form a building Committee to decide on the
size and plan of the building needed and to arrange for and supervise
the work in such a manner that the fund shall amply provide for the
building complete, with necessary furnishings, leaving, if possible, a
balance remaining, sufficient for such repairs and additional
furnishings as may be required for two years from the time of
completion.

Will you please draw a document covering these requirements and have
it ready by the time I reach New York (April 14th).

Very sincerely, S. L. CLEMENS.