From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:47:34 +0000
Greetings! This is a wonderful post, and I thought I'd provide some backstory -- battered copies of this book have been staples at the Hartford house for many years, providing exquisite detail of daily life there (along with Clara's My Father, Mark Twain and of course the various works  included in the MT Project's A Family Sketch, edited by Ben Griffin.) In 2014 or so our intrepid bookstore manager, Laura Van Dine, thought it should be published anew and got the interest of Applewood Books, asked me to write a preface, and followed through till it came out in 2015.

My preface, while generally introducing the cast of characters, went nowhere near into the detail Taylor did, and I was unaware of the slip-ups Leary (or Lawton) introduced.

Taylor, I'm afraid I can't answer your questions in any detail other than that to be found in said preface, though I found it fascinating that Lawton posed for the statue of Columbia on the steps of Low Library at Columbia.

As always, Barbara and Gretchen provide fascinating perspective from the Hill Country and the Southern Tier! Tracy Brindle, Mallory Howard and I found Katy's grave during the 2017 conference thanks to Gretchen. We even selfied there.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Courtney
Curatorial Special Projects