From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 11:56:48 -0700
Fellow Twainies:  This just came from the Think Outside the Bottle folks. I'm kinda glad the Hannibal Home of Becky T didn't get a Pepsi grant, frankly. I'd hate to visit and find a lot of young kids being fed this dangerous liquid, probably free, made of water from the Ogalalla Aquifer.

Anyone remember the Pete Seeger ditty?
   "Pepsi Cola hits the spot,
    Ties your belly in a knot.
    Tastes like vinegar,
    Looks like ink --

    Pepsi Cola is a damned fine drink!"

Think about the kids visiting the Becky home, drinking the free Pepsi from cans, made from water taken from the disappearing Ogalalla Aquifer. I probably wouldn't stand by quietly and watch.

Museums should tap public coffers, not ground water, in my opinion. And public coffers will be healthier if all states start to require that online resellers begin to collect sales taxes, about half of which gets to local governments, the rest to state or special in-state allocations. New York and Texas have begun to require this, as have some three dozen other states, and California is this month deciding among four sales taxing bills slogging their way through the legislature in Sacramento.

Richard R. - San Francisco/Oakland

THE LETTER RE AQUAFINA:

Dear Richard,
Today I’m in Plano, Texas at Pepsi’s annual shareholders’ meeting. I'm here to call on executives to publicly report breaches in water quality for Aquafina bottled water, just like our public water systems do.
Just imagine if your local water authority didn’t have to issue
reports about the safety of your tap water…there would be a public
outcry! Corporations like Pepsi that bottle our water should be held to
this same basic standard.
Click here to send an e-mail to CEO Indra Nooyi calling on her to tell us what’s in Aquafina.
Now is the time to ramp up the pressure, as more people like you
Think Outside the Bottle. Aquafina’s sales declined by seven percent in
2009. And last year, our friends at the Environmental Working Group gave Aquafina a D rating in its latest bottled water labeling scorecard.
Click here to send an e-mail to ask Pepsi: What have you got to hide?
We’ve seen Pepsi respond to public pressure before. Four years ago,
the corporation agreed to label the source of Aquafina after hearing
from people like you.
Together we can make sure Pepsi is accountable for marketing that
casts doubt on the tap, even as they draw their Aquafina from the very
same source.
Sincerely,
Kristin Urquiza
Think Outside the Bottle Director