Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:48:09 EDT
Gosh!
    The 378 bits of mail I had waiting for me since the beginning of the
month --I've just been really, really busy -- were mostly forum postings and
not spam! Yay!
    But I think I missed something in the MT-war debate, on which The Oldest
Continuously Published Newspaper (and don't you forget it, buster) in
America
did not and isn't likely to weigh in on.
    Using someone so deeply of his time, even if, in certain ways, he was a
visionary to advance contemporary arguments should be a capital offense.
    No. Worse. Book the offender on one of those gooshy talk shows. That'll
show 'em.
    I, too, was appalled at the errors in the NYT piece and left a stringent
e-mail with those I suspect are responsible (that's one of the few benefits
of being a copy editor -- don't try this at home!). I've not yet seen any
corrections, but The NYT tends to be rather scrupulous about such things.
    And back truly on topic, our dear Sam had his head on straight about
politics. He loved being a citizen and able to give 'em hell when necessary,
but I like to think he also, as a celebrity himself, knew the compromise and
sacrifice involved in attaining such a high office, and that there was a
distinct divide between the man and the office he happened to occupy.
    Merely more food for thought ;)*

Kathy O'Connell
Record-Journal
Meriden, Conn.