SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Kalda, Robyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:29:06 -0500
What's new at the HP Hub!

January 2010

The Health Promotion Hub <http://www.healthnexus.ca/our_programs/hprc/index.htm>  of Health Nexus would like to tell you about what we are up to these days as we move forward to support comprehensive health promotion in Ontario!

Our latest projects

*	Building Capacity for Equity in Health Promotion-a bilingual project that supports those who work with racialized communities to build capacity for equity in the areas of healthy eating, physical activity and mental health promotion.  The Health Equity Council is a key partner. The project will produce a literature review, resources and tools, hold conferences in all four regions of the province in English and French, and foster a provincial health equity network. Funded by the Healthy Communities Fund of the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, this project runs until 2011.

*	Canada - Ontario Agreement on French-Language Services-a two-year project to expand our services in knowledge translation in health promotion, focusing on the application of research in the francophone community. We will develop a resource for Francophone service providers to improve practice and address multiple risk factors in health promotion and will adapt our successful Connecting the Dots <http://www.healthnexus.ca/events/CTD/index.html>  community engagement model for the francophone community.

*	Network Mapping and Analysis Service through fall of 2010 will study ways to support organizations and communities to map, develop and support healthy networks through new technology. Funded by Enterprising Non-Profits Toronto.

Healthy Communities Consortium

The Health Promotion Hub is pleased to join other members of the Healthy Communities Consortium  <http://www.ohcc-ccso.ca/en/healthy-communities-consortium-community-engagment-workshop> to create a circle of services that support the new Healthy Communities Ontario approach.  Together we offer a mix of regional workshops and webinars & consultations to organizations and groups involved or interested in the Healthy Communities Fund or as part of the local Healthy Communities Partnerships.

Community Engagement Workshops

In partnership with Healthy Communities Support Services, Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition, we offer free regional workshops on Community Engagement for organizations that are working with Healthy Communities Ontario.

*	Feb. 8, 9:30-3:30 'Engaging with Your Community," at Metro Hall, Toronto.  Participants will share experiences, learn about tools and resources and community engagement as a key health promotion strategy.

Winter Webinars

Please click on topics below for more information.  There is no charge for these webinars.

*	Jan. 19- 1:00-2:30 p.m. "Search Skills" <http://ohcc-ccso.ca/en/healthy-communities-consortium-webinar-registration> - FULL    Find the most effective strategies and tools to search online, identify resources and key sites for health promotion, and tag and bookmark for saving and sharing.

*	Feb. 23- 1:00-2:30 p.m. "L'inclusion et les déterminants de la santé" <http://ohcc-ccso.ca/en/healthy-communities-consortium-webinar-registration>  Les participants se familiariseront  avec trois stratégies clés (l'engagement civique, la mobilisation communautaire et l'inclusion), le concept de sentiment d'appartenance, les facteurs et les indicateurs qui contribuent à l'inclusion.

*	Feb. 25-1:00-2:30 p.m. "Social Determinants of Health."   FULL      Learn why determinants of health are linked to chronic disease and how you can take action in your community.

*	March 10-1:00-2:30 p.m. "Éléments essentiels à la création et au maintien d'un partenariat <http://ohcc-ccso.ca/en/healthy-communities-consortium-webinar-registration>  gagnant" En s'inspirant du modèle de planification MDI (modèle des domaines interactifs) nous passerons en revue les types de partenariat et certains éléments d'un bon document d'entente de partenariats.

*	March 9 or 11 -date TBD. "Smoking Cessation:  Working with Diverse Populations"
	In partnership with the Program, Training and Consultation Centre (PTCC), explores ways to work with diverse groups to reduce tobacco use based on fundamental principles of health equity and inclusion.

Highlights from the Best Start Resource Centre <http://www.beststart.org/index_eng.html>  this winter:

*	Feb. 17-19- Best Start Annual Conference - Toronto. The Best Start Resource Centre team is pleased to announce this year's annual conference. In this comprehensive program addressing preconception through to child health, you will find sessions relevant to your work and areas of interest. You will acquire the latest information, learn about innovative strategies and programs, and meet new colleagues.

*	March 9- Province-Wide Forum on Child Poverty- Toronto. This Province-wide Forum will address pertinent information for service providers working with families with young children (0-6 years old) living in poverty.  It will share information about rates of child poverty, consequences of child poverty, as well as strategies that influence the impact and rates of child poverty.

Find out more about these events, as well as our new resources, webinars and regional workshops:  visit www.beststart.org. Sign up for the Maternal Newborn Child Health Promotion (MNCHP) listserv to keep up to date www.beststart.org/services/information.html

2010 is a very special year for Health Nexus and our networks because it marks the beginning of our 25th anniversary.  Stay tuned for more details later in the year.

Contact any of us at the emails below, or visit our website at www.healthnexus.ca .
If you would like to receive occasional updates from the Health Promotion Hub, please let us know.

We look forward to connecting with you soon!

The Health Promotion Hub Team at Health Nexus:
Ronald Dieleman <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Robyn Kalda <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Hélène Roussel <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subha Sankaran <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Peggy Schultz <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Suzanne Schwenger <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Alison Stirling <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .