From:
Sam Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:46:50 -0400
I think we can start from the premise that nobody is perfect and therefore no human product is perfect.  But some human products are so damn good that you can overlook the imperfections.  Of the works Holmes mentions, for me that includes Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and A  Connecticut Yankee at the Court of King Arthur.

Again speaking only for myself, I grew up in a house that contained a library containing the collected works of several authors:  George Eliot, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, and Mark Twain among them.  I confess I never got all the way through George Eliot or Bulwer-Lytton, but I liked Twain so much that I read every volume in the set.  I remember especially enjoying the story about the lightning-rod salesman; and another story, which I considered on the whole a failure, left in my mind two lines that after all these years I still can't get out of my head: "Punch, brothers, punch with care, / Punch in the presence of the passenjare."  Some of what I read I considered failures, including Tom Sawyer Abroad, but I was willing to forgive Twain for them because I enjoyed the others, especially Roughing It, so much.

Then I was fortunate enough in college to have a class from Dr. Benjamin Harrison, who showed me beauties and elegance in Huckleberry Finn that I had not found on my own, and then at UCLA my admiration was deepened in a class from Leon Howard, who in his own personality shared some of Huck's impishness.  So my conclusion is that Twain's masterpiece  may not be perfect, but who cares?

Sam Sackett

http://samsackett.us

http://about.me/www.samsackett.com