Sender:
From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:30:56 -0500
One of my last memories of this kind, gentle, gracious, and wonderful
person is a meal my wife Sarah and I shared with him and his wife at Quarry
Farm at the 2009 Conference.  Of course, Tom's presence attracted others,
such as Kent Rasmussen, to our table to add to what was and would have
continued to be, with the Tenneys, warm and enjoyable conversation and
company.  At least, I have some of the books he sold two Elmira Conferences
back after his eyesight hindered his use of them, and they contain some of
his notations.

I shall treasure them as I do his warm and very human notes, whether
written on the backs of letters concerning T*he Mark Twain Journal* or more
personal ones, such as one he wrote after seeing something my son had
written.  We can continue to be thankful for his scholarship as we warmly
recall the man behind it.

--
John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English