Sender:
From:
Larry Dann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:26:03 -0400
GOV. MALLOY: THE MARK TWAIN HOUSE UNVEILED AS CONNECTICUT’S FAVORITE ‘STILL REVOLUTIONARY’ DESTINATION
‘Still Revolutionary’ Campaign Builds Momentum With Connecticut Tourism Seeing Increased Visitation at Major Destinations; 100% Jump in Traffic to State’s Tourism Website

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that The Mark Twain House has been voted residents’ and visitors’ Fan-Favorite Still Revolutionary destination.  As a result, The Mark Twain House will be showcased in Connecticut’s tourism marketing efforts via a digital ad spot and a short documentary video that will run online and on the state’s social media channels this fall.

“Mark Twain’s legacy is one that continues to inspire, and it’s fitting that his house is the fan favorite in our Still Revolutionary campaign,” said Governor Malloy.  “Twain was someone that wrote passionately, both about our state and about the issues he believed in.  It’s that spirit that’s driving our Still Revolutionary campaign and I’m glad to see that’s its paying off for our state’s tourism industry.”

He continued, “Tourism employs more than 110,000 people, generates about $11.5 billion in spending and more than a billion in state and local tax revenue.  For too long, our state didn’t invest in this important sector of our economy, and as a result Connecticut was literally left off the map of tourism destinations in New England.  TheStill Revolutionary campaign marks a new direction, one that will drive this important sector of our economy forward.”

The announcement comes on the heels of new data indicating that the Still Revolutionary campaign is beginning to make an impact on statewide tourism.  Visitation to major attractions including Mystic Seaport, Mystic Aquarium, The Mark Twain House, New England Air Museum, Essex Steam Train & Riverboat and the Maritime Aquarium is up 6.84% over last year at this time - with the two aquariums reporting their highest ticket sales since July 2009.

Since the launch of the new brand in May, Connecticut’s tourism website, CTvisit.com, has seen a 100% jump in traffic and the Connecticut Office of Tourism has provided travel assistance to 51% more potential visitors via traditional inquiries, web traffic and counseling in state welcome centers.  The Still Revolutionary ads have been viewed more than 182,000 times on YouTube and through the strategic media buy have reached the target consumer more than 400MM times with campaign messaging.  To date, more than 107,000 people are fans of the Visit Connecticut Facebook page.

The state’s fall marketing efforts will showcase The Mark Twain House, along with images from western Connecticut.  Hundreds of destinations around the state will also be supported through various PR, digital and social media efforts to reinforce Still Revolutionary messaging and the fall activities taking place around the state for residents and visitors of all ages.

“We are incredibly honored by the number of residents, visitors, loyal patrons and authors that declared The Mark Twain House & Museum 'Still Revolutionary' and one of their favorite destinations in the state of Connecticut,” said Patti Philippon, Interim Executive Director of The Mark Twain House & Museum.  “The Mark Twain House preserves the home of one of our country’s most cherished cultural and historic icons, honors his living heritage and extends a warm welcome to our many guests from near and far."

The fan-favorite campaign generated more than 12,000 votes and 1,800 nominations across 160 different locations statewide.  The Mark Twain House received the most votes among a group of ten well-known destinations and hidden gems throughout Connecticut, including Connecticut Historical Society, Coventry Regional Farmers Market at the Nathan Hale Homestead, Curtain Call, Inc., Harriet Beecher Stowe House, Hartford Stage, Hill-Stead Museum, Levitt Pavilion, New England Air Museum and Westport Country Playhouse.

For additional information on the Still Revolutionary campaign, Connecticut events, 52 Getaway ideas and travel deals check out CTvisit.com, “like” the Visit Connecticut Facebook page or follow @CTvisit on Twitter.

###

For Immediate Release: August 23, 2012
Contact: Jim Watson
Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development
860-270-8182 (office)
860-306-3737 (cell)

Larry Dann