From:
Mike Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:31:35 -0700
Begging your indulgence,  I wish to offer a couple of observations
on this topic:
Most groups of Indians of North America had defended territory through strength
and alliances.  This had made many groups into warrior cultures.
The author of "The Damned Human Race" might not be more prejudiced against
 one group of humans than against another, but maybe he presumes to
judge warrior cultures to be less defensible.  Twain's Indian characters are drawn
as individuals, not as group analysis.  One may be a crazy killer  such as Injun Joe
 or  "a Pi Ute Injun I used to know in Tulare County; mighty good fellow" as in
"Capt. Stormfield."
From other stories, we know Twain was not an admirer of warrior culture.
And the Indians, by most of them not having a written language, would have
had less ways to repair their alienation in Twain's era. They may have seemed
especially strange to him.
Thanks for Your patience.
Mike