From:
Mike Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:51:07 -0700
   Because it touches so many persons' lives and our national legacy,
this conversation still has a lot of mileage in the years ahead.
Inspired by the bright literary lamps on this forum,
this set of questions arises, this time in response to Kevin, before
I return to lurking:

   How insulated was Mark Twain from anyone's good expose' of the
Bureau of Indian Affairs?  The age of reformers seems to have begun
around 1900... how certain are we that Twain knew what the Indians
were experiencing with the BIA?

  If we compare the United States' treatment of Indians to Julius Caesar's
 treatment of middle Europeans, what lessons would be drawn?
 A Twain-like satire could not avoid being intensely painful while it
humorously explored this forbidden comparison.  Did indigenous
peoples own the land they lived upon before there were international
 accords?   Was Caesar _not so bad because he never promised, in any treaty,
 _not to slaughter a lot of middle Europeans and take their lands?
     Would a legalistic reading of Indian treaties say that since Winter
brought an end to the grass growing and the river flowing, or
would lawyers litigate  away the treaty by saying those who signed
were not legally empowered?  What would be the Indian's reply to this?
The treaty issue may be an issue on its own, which distracts us  from
strictly considering what is right or wrong.  Did every Indian rightfullly
own a half sor a whole quare mile of land in the lower 48 states?
Or would they have more rights to the choice locations where they
had sited their villages since mammoths roamed the continent?
  Since the comparative body odor of Indians and non-Indians was cited,
I wonder whether we might construct a map of the issue.  Whose noses
were offended?  What were the foods eaten by offended, offender and
those who were neither?   Apparently some omnivores or vegetarians
can smell a person who eats mostly meat.
 Did Indians bathe more than non-Indians when a stream of water was
available?  Did drinking alcohol tend to change the chemistry of this
question? It can either cause a foul odor or be a disinfectant, or both.

As for Twain's barely reading Burlin's Indian Book, thanks for
mentioning it.  I would like to  see the book because it is from
a time closer to the source.  A flim could be made about it too!
For Twain, maybe his reason for not reading it thoroughly was,
"So many books, so little time."

Thanks, Everyone!

Mike Pearson
Ellensburg, Wash.

> Given the state of hygiene in white culture in the mid-19th century
> that's surprising. Commercially available soaps were fairly new and not
> wide-spread until after the Civil War, and bathing weekly or monthly was not
> uncommon. Even the last day of a typical scholarly conference does not
> approach the 19th century norm.
>

> I'll mention another point that I find puzzling-- this observation may
> reflect my insufficient familiarity with Twain's writings, but for all of
> his satirical writings about government corruption, I don't recall any where
> he focuses on the widespread abuses of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the
> government's failure to live up to treaties signed with various Indian
> tribes. I vaguely recall a mention or two, but no extended passages, no
> riffs of classic Twainian outrage. As I said, I'm probably forgetting
> something obvious, at least I hope so, because it otherwise seems a glaring
> blindspot.

 In fact, it was corruption and abuse at the BIA that led to the