From:
Kit Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:12:41 -0700
From the mid-1870's through the 1890's the advertising trade card was a major format in
advertising products of the time. All manner of subjects and images were used on trade
cards. Authors were one of the subjects used. By 1900, the trade card was obsolete.

In trade cards, the writers most commonly referenced were Longfellow, Dickens,
Shakespeare, and Wilde. These references were made through quotes from
their works, sometimes including attendant images. Sometimes the author
reference would be just a picture of the writer with birth / death notes.

There is a conspicuous lack of Twain presence in this format of advertising. I would
expect to see more examples of Twain appearing in advertising trade cards. Can
anyone give me some specific explanations for this absence of Twain's presence
in 19th century advertising.

Kit Barry
The Ephemera Archive for American Studies
Brattleboro, Vermont