From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 15:52:48 +0000
Twain's interest in science was very much encouraged by his marriage into the Langdon family.  Livy had been studying physics and chemistry with a science prof from the college, and the whole family was reading Darwin.  See my chapter on "Science Study in 1860s Elmira" in The Courtship of Olivia Langdon and Mark Twain.  --skh

Susan K. Harris

Hall Professor of American Literature

University of Kansas

Author of God's Arbiters: Americans and the Philippines, 1898-1902