From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:30:42 -0400
Here is one paragraph from the boilerplate email I received four minutes
after sending my email to the president, regarding Barb's point:

With another year of flat funding for the university and an increasing
realization that university resources must be aligned with strategic
priorities, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our subsidy to the
press beginning in the 2013 fiscal year. Out of respect for notifying the
remaining ten employees at the press, this decision was not discussed
publicly in advance, but please know it was vetted by system and campus
administration, including vice presidents, chancellors, provosts and
curators.

His "respect" for the remaining ten employees, down from 20+ in a previous
cost-cutting move, included not conferring with them at all, never meeting
them, never visiting their offices, and certainly not telling them the axe
was about to fall. In the last paragraph of his "letter," he calls shutting
down the press "phasing out our current model." Woe to the university who
hires a businessman as president!

John Bird