Xilao Li <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 May 2012 09:07:25 -0500
It looks that Lu Xun, the famous Chinese writer, certainly read more into Eve's Diary as early as in 1931.
He showed an usual interest, had it translated into Chinese, liked more of Lester Ralph's illustrations than
the story proper, and asked in his preface "laughing and joking while full of sorrow and sadness, how come?"
It was impossible for the Chinese writer to have known about the role of Livy in all this.

--Xilao Li

________________________________

From: Mark Twain Forum on behalf of Kevin Mac Donnell
Sent: Sun 5/20/2012 9:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Extracts from Adam and Eve's Diaries

At the risk of reading more than intended into this work, I think I see
Twain working through some aspects of his grief in Eve's Diary --Eve's
explicit wish to die first because Adam was stronger, his wonderment that
she found him worthy of her love, etc.

What's more interesting (to me) is that Twain's other "Adamic" writings (the
specific titles escape me) were written before Livy's death (in Germany or
London ca 1898-1900?) and are  not so light-hearted or gently amusing. They
take some satirical bites at Christianity that are absent (so far as I
recall) from Eve's Diary.

Even the oft-quoted last line of Eve's Diary may take on a somewhat
different meaning if you closely examine exactly how Eden is depicted in all
of these works.

If you really want to take a fast slide (hands over your head) down the
slippery slope of English 101 explication you can compare (or contrast)
Twain's courtship of Livy, her "innocence" before they met, his influence on
her religious views, etc., and the relationship of Adam and Eve in all these
works.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books