SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2012 16:35:29 +0000
I almost lost my house and nearly went bankrupt with prolonged unemployment due to schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety.  This was a vicious circle/cycle arising from private sector stigma and discrimination.  I kept experiencing the catch-22: need a job for more experience, need more experience to get a job.  Even after three psychiatric ward hospitalizations, I still had suicidal ideation and only employment as a dishwasher at a buffet restaurant I had worked at many years prior as a University student even though at the time I held my Commerce Degree and CGA designation, both with first class standing.  Without family support and the CMHA Winnipeg Region Rehabilitation and Recovery program, I would likely not still be alive.  Appropriate medication levels were/are also important but in tandem with psychosocial rehabilitation counseling.

A lot of my mental problems were a direct result of working at the CA firm PwC as my first full time work role after University graduation.  A toxic work environment.  I'll never forgive business and Reform/Conservatives for the life they nearly ended.

Respects,
David
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on the MTS High Speed Mobility Network