From:
John Greenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:41:44 -0500
I've been reading Twain's "What Is Man" and other Essays  and came
upon what I'm pretty sure is a typo.

In every version I've been able to find, the typo is repeated..

So...
at the risk of being accused of being the only one in the parade who
is in step....
I say,

check this out:

In Twain's essay "Switzerland, the Cradle of Liberty", he talks about
Jungfrau and how it differs from other peaks. He talks of how it is
"framed".

"The gateway, in the dark-colored barrier, makes a strong frame for
the great picture. The somber frame and the glowing snow-pile are
startlingly contrasted. It is this frame which concentrates and
emphasizes the glory of the Jungfrau and makes it the most engaging
and beguiling and fascinating spectacle that exists on the earth.
There are many mountains of snow that are as lofty as the Jungfrau and
as nobly proportioned, but they lack the fame. They stand at large;
they are intruded upon and elbowed by neighboring domes and summits,
and their grandeur is diminished and fails of effect."

I humbly entreat future publishers to take the courageous step of
correcting this OBVIOUS publishing error. NO WAY would Twain have
written "fame"!!

John Greenman
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the
lightning ain't distributed right.”"
-Mark Twain