From:
Rick Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:26:54 -0500
At quarry Farm in September of 2009, a number of us stood in a circle
smoking cigars. The sun had well set and as we lingered now we saw each
other only in faint silhouette with tiny beacons of red ash floating about
to mark the location of the speakers. Hal Holbrook was speaking to us and
the subject of his imitation of Twain's voice came up. He said that he had
spoken with Clara Clemens and she had remarked that "...it's very
good--close to Papa." And then, changing the subject, she went on to tell
him that he would do well to play the part of Jesus Christ on stage. We all
laughed, but I didn't forget his remark.

In October of 2010, my wife, Jan, and I had the opportunity to take
84-year-old Hal Holbrook out to supper after he had performed MARK TWIN
TONIGHT at a Saint Paul theater. Five of us sat till one in the morning and
just talked. I remembered his remarked and asked him again about Twain's
voice. He repeated the comment that Clara had made nearly verbatim.

I'll never know what Clemens' real voice sounded like but I suspect, like
Holbrook, there are two; one, Clemens' normal speaking voice and the other
'Sammy's long drawl' the one he uses as Mark Twain. I'll bet it was no
different in the Clemens' household.

Thanks for letting me chime in.

Rick Talbot
Falcon Heights, Minnesota