From:
Susan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2015 00:37:11 +0000
The National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly (NICE) Course Announcement:

An 8-Week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course

Taught by MBSR Facilitators:

Julie Giroux MEd, BSc(OT), OTReg(Ont)

Occupational Therapist

Todd Tran MScCH, BHScOT, OTReg(Ont)

Occupational Therapist

As we journey through life, we inevitably face challenges in our health, mood, behaviours, and cognitive capabilities. A growing body of research evidence suggests that mindfulness-based approaches can benefit our cognitive, emotional, psychological, and physical health across our lifespan. Mindfulness practices can be incorporated into our day-to-day lives to promote an overall sense of well-being. This Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course is offered specifically for professionals and students across the adult age spectrum.

Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an eight-week intensive structured group program focussed on learning mindfulness meditation practices and incorporating this learning into our daily lives. Participation in the MBSR program develops life-long tools to help us live life more fully in the midst of stress, pain, illness and the challenges and demands of our everyday lives.

What is Mindfulness?

Mindfulness is an inclusive awareness that is intentional, present-moment focussed and permits us to be present with less judgment and reactivity. Mindfulness can be cultivated through mind/body training in meditation and daily life practices. This enhanced awareness allows us to choose healthier ways of responding to sources of stress in our lives and opens us up to more fully enjoying life.

MBSR Program History and Research Evidence

The MBSR program was founded by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. Hundreds of studies have shown the beneficial effects of MBSR for a wide range of health conditions as well as improved coping and resilience with daily life stressors. For more information on the history and research evidence supporting MBSR you may visit the University of Massachusetts, Center for Mindfulness, website at: www.umassmed.edu/cfm/stress-reduction/

The 8-Week MBSR program includes:

* Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices and gentle yoga / mindful movement

* Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life

* Daily home assignments of formal and informal mindfulness practices

* Workbook and CD recordings to guide and support your home practice

Orientation Session: Tuesday March 10, 2015 - 6:00 to 9:00 pm

Course Dates: Tuesday evenings, March 17 to May 5, 2015 - 6:00 to 9:00 pm

& All-Day Silent Retreat on Saturday April 25, 2015 - 10:00am to 4:00pm

Course Location: NICE at 263 McCaul St., 4th Floor Classroom, Toronto, Ontario

Course Fee: $495.00 (reduced rate for Students and Seniors: $449.00)

For more Information & to Register for the Orientation Session please contact:

NICE NETWORK OFFICE 416-978-7037 or Todd Tran (Facilitator) 416-301-5881 or [log in to unmask]

Course enrolment is limited to a maximum of 25 participants

A note for health care professionals:

If you are a professional who would like to incorporate mindfulness in your clinical work , it is essential to first develop a strong personal mindfulness practice. Taking an MBSR course as a client provides a foundation of personal experience which is a necessary first step before considering professional training in mindfulness-based interventions.

MBSR Facilitator Profiles:

Julie Giroux is an occupational therapist with additional training and experience in clinical applications of mindfulness. Julie completed her Master's degree in Counselling Psychology at the University of Toronto where she focused on mindfulness in psychotherapy for anxiety, depression, chronic pain and insomnia. Since first participating in a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) group in 2004, Julie has continued to deepen her experience through daily meditation practice and attending silent retreats. Starting in 2010 Julie completed MBSR Teacher trainings through the University of Massachusetts including a 7-day professional training directed by MBSR founder Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, as well as the Teacher Development Intensive and other trainings. For the past 13 years Julie has worked at Women's College Hospital where she facilitates MBSR & Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) groups as well as working in a specialty orthotics clinic. Julie is inspired to teach mindfulness practices as a means for developing greater capacity to meet whatever life brings with greater kindness, compassion, joy and ease.

Todd Tran is an occupational therapist who received his occupational therapy degree in 1999 from McMaster University and went on to complete his Master's in Health Professional Education at the University of Toronto in 2011. He currently works full-time at Women's College Hospital where he facilitates Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and works as an occupational therapist in Family Practice and a specialty orthotics clinic. Todd also teaches at the University of Toronto in the Older Adult curriculum of the occupational therapy Master's program. Since 2009, Todd has participated in a number of advanced mindfulness trainings including a 7-day intensive training workshop with Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Dr. Saki Santorelli in 2012. Todd has also completed Level 1 Certification in MBCT Facilitation from the Centre for Mindfulness Studies in Toronto studying under Dr. Patricia Rockman and Dr. David Denis (2013). Todd's area of interest and research is aging and how evidence-based mindfulness interventions can be used as a strategy to preserve cognition.

MBSR Weekly Schedule

Date & Time

Activity

Facilitators