From:
Jim Frankish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:24:52 -0800
Call for documents and reports on Health Literacy- please distribute
or forward to relevant parties

The Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control (CCDPC) at the
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is actively working to develop
Canada's agenda, role(s) and capacities in the area of Health
Literacy, and to build together a coordinated effort over the next
few years.  A key question is, "what is the role, competencies, and
capacities of the federal government or national organizations to
engage in work related to health literacy".

The Centre for Population Health Promotion Research at the University
of British Columbia has been hired by PHAC to identify departments,
organizations and staff who are interested in helping to create and
carry out the Health Literacy agenda.

As a key part of the above efforts, we are doing an international
"scan" of federal departments, nation-wide organizations and other
international analogs to Canada's federal 'Health Portfolio' (units
or departments). We are looking at 1) interventions, programs and/or
campaigns explicitly related to health literacy; and 2) health
literacy work done at a national or federal level.

We what to know what work has been done at a Federal or National
level in your country (jurisdiction) in advancing a health literacy
agenda.  Specifically, we are collecting documents or reports related
to work in health literacy that would help to address our question
of  "what is the role, competencies, and capacities of the federal
government or national organization to engage in work related to
health literacy"

We invite you to send us any relevant health literacy documents or
reports. We may also be contacting you to participate in a telephone
interview (between 30 to 45 minutes) with one of our project team members.

If you can recommend other individuals involved in health literacy
work in your department or organization we would appreciate you
contacting us. Please contact Diane Gray or Christine Soon at
604-822-0820 or by email [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

Dr. Jim Frankish
Professor, Human Early Learning Partnership, College for
Interdisciplinary Studies, UBC
Professor, School of Population & Public Health, UBC; Director,
Centre for Population Health Promotion Research
Member, National Research-Training Program on Population Health Interventions
Senior Scholar, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (Past)
Room 425, School of Population & Public Health (formerly Library
Processing Centre) 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
O: 604-822-9205, C: 778-987-9205; F: 822-9228 [log in to unmask]
http://www.jimfrankish.com; http://blogs.ubc.ca/frankish/