From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2022 12:42:30 +0000
Those with copies of the Mark Twain Journal for Spring/Fall 2006
(44:1-2) can make the comparison for themselves. That two-in-one issue
prints my virtual tour of Stormfield based mostly on previously
unpublished photos of the interior and exterior of the original
structure that later burned in the 1920s. It also includes the original
floorplans and plat map which are big folding inserts, and of course my
essay which describes the physical structure in detail as well as its
history. Copies of that issue can be ordered from the MTJ website.

The present structure more or less sits on the footprint of the original
structure and parts of the floor plans do align with the original plans
(the library, hallway, stairs, part of the kitchen, etc., but the entire
loggia was not rebuilt, nor was the room above the loggia where Twain
kept his desk. The pergola at the foot of the pathway is long-gone but
its foundation seems to be intact under the lawn, to judge from
discoloration of the grass at that location. The steps leading down to
the pergola site are intact, but the gravel pathway itself, which could
easily be unearthed or recreated is oddly absent. Jean's farm and
farmhouse survive nearby but are now a separate property. The owners of
Stormfield generously allowed me access to the entire home and grounds
years ago, and I spent most of my time studying the cellar (which
survived the fire) and the grounds, but I did walk through all the rooms
to get a feel for the dimensions and layout. The long hallways and rows
of rooms gave it sort of a hotel feel, a big empty hotel. It must have
been a very lonely place for an aging widower with one daughter and son
long dead, and two living daughters--one estranged and the other
striking out on her own. It's no wonder he craved visitors and kept a
guest-book to memorialize their visits.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books