From:
Fred Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:33:52 -0400
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Carmela Valente wrote:

> I thought the Twain quote about the weather went something like, "if you
> don't like the weather in San Francisco, just wait a few minutes".
Forgive
> me, as I am about to get up and don't have time right now to look up the
> exact quote.

The recently published Yale Book of Quotations has the following:

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes.
  Attributed to Mark Twain in Bennett Cerf, _Try and Stop Me_
(1944).  An earlier version, not attributed to any individual, appeared in
the _Washington Post_, 4 Mar. 1934, and referred to Washington, D.C.:
"Just wait five minutes for a change -- That's what the weather here will
do."

Note that when I say "Attributed to" I mean that I doubt that Mark Twain
really said this.

Fred Shapiro