From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:00:28 EST
Well, to be fair, it would be difficult to define Mark Twain's "standard."
Perhaps we all know it or recognize it when we see it--or rather, the
several
"standards" of Samuel L. Clemens. For there were several sides to the man,
as
we  all know. Garrison K. has been mentioned, but for me he's like watching
paint  dry. The recently passed Art Buchwald had a similar bent of mind to
Sam,
that  ability to mix humor with wisdom and social commentary. Interesting
too,
how  many of our great writers and humorists got their wings in
journalism--what does  this say? That deadlines help make the man, perhaps.
And women, no
reflection,  but how many women can even be compared in the same breath with
Clemens? I can't  think of one, even though that Hilary person seems funny,
don't think she's  trying to be.

Moreover, WHAT would Sam think of each of the following? I'd be interested
in your replies:

Groucho Marx
Hal Holbrook (imitation of Sam)
Rosie O'Donnell
George W. Bush
Harold Bush
(okay, scratch that last one)
Ronald Reagan
..and which "desperate housewife" would he prefer to have lunch with?

--
David H Fears
Mark Twain Day By Day, Vol. 1 1835-1885