SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Susan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:41:22 +0000
We hope you can join us and please feel free to forward this announcement to anyone who might be interested in attending.

THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO’S
Institute for Life Course and Aging is pleased to present

TECHNOLOGIES FOR AGING GRACEFULLY

Ron Baecker, PhD
Emeritus Professor, Computer Science,
Director, TAG Lab, University of Toronto

Barbara Barbosa Neves, PhD
Research Associate and Associate Director, TAG Lab, University of Toronto

Thursday, November 27th, 2014
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm

We shall discuss the importance of information and communication technologies (ICTs, including, for example, the internet, mobile phones, and tablets) for older adults. Specific roles for new technology may be understood in terms of the Maslow Hierarchy of Human Needs: biological or physiological needs; safety needs; love or social needs; esteem needs; and the need for self-actualization.  Despite the growing use of the ICTs among seniors, we have barely scratched the surface of what is possible.  The bulk of the presentation will address landmark achievements that meet specific needs, promising approaches, and open problems in the design of technology to help older adults age gracefully.  Particular attention will be paid to helping families deal with seniors’ social isolation and loneliness. We shall report on needs analyses, technology innovation, and user studies evaluating technology effectiveness.

§

Ron Baecker is Emeritus Professor of Computer Science, Emeritus Bell Chair in Human-Computer Interaction, co-founder of the Dynamic Graphics Project, founder of the Knowledge Media Design Institute, and founder and director of the Technologies for Aging Gracefully lab (TAGlab) at the University of Toronto.

Dr. Barbara Barbosa Neves is a Research Associate and Associate Director of TAGlab.  Before coming to Toronto, she was an Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Lisbon, Portugal.

Seminars are free, held at the Institute,
263 McCaul St., 4th Floor Classroom
Please RSVP as seating is limited

This seminar will be webcast and can be accessed at:
http://hosting2.epresence.tv/AGING