Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:31:52 -0600
I think I should clarify something about this topic.  Pretty much everyone
knew about Lincoln's raft trips -- as they knew about him as a "rail
splitter," or they knew that he grew up in southern Indiana, or lost his
mother Nancy Hanks, etc.  Just like everyone reading this knows that Reagan
was a football announcer on the radio and went to Hollywood to star in
movies; or that Clinton grew up in rural Ark. with a single Mom, that he
"did not inhale," and that he shook the hand of Jack Kennedy; or that
Barack Obama had a white mother and and a Kenyan father, spent time in
Indonesia and Hawaii, and that he was a grassroots organizer in Chicago;
etc., etc.  It was not necessary to read a book as a source for any of
these details; they are just sort of in the water of presidential
campaigns.

Twain would NOT have needed to "read a book" to know that AL took raft
trips down the Mighty Mississippi.

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English