Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:46:49 -0600
 Thanks for that, Larry.  Yes, I think there is a great deal of evidence,
since it was used over and over in the campaign coverage, in speeches and
newspapers.  And in the political cartoons he is often, for example,
depicted on a raft, or with an axe;  or as a very tall and gangly and
homely man, etc.  There are many, many memoirs to corroborate, later of
course; but the evidence suggests to me that this was all part of the
"Lincoln legend."

I agree that modern coverage is much different tin terms of amount and
immediacy.  But these were the years leading up to Civil War and believe
me, folks were paying attention, north and south; and knew about this
outback giant called Lincoln, and were talking about him.  I may be
overstating it but I rather think the raft trips and rail splitting were
common knowledge, more or less. Just my 2 cents, -hb

ps to Larry: I hope you come to Hannibal this summer, with instrument in
hand; you and I and John Bird can try a few songs out....

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English