Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2022 13:00:33 -0700
8bit
Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
I have a copy from the University of California Press with a date of
2002 but I fail to find an actual printing date.  The electronic edition
found on the Mark Twain Project site gives dates of 2003, 2009, and
2016.  I'm wondering if there are any substantive changes in these
editions (printing runs?).  Actually, I'm trying to fix a date for Huck
and Jim passing Cairo on their way down the Mississippi.  I've been
poring over the history of Cairo for the past week and find written
perceptions of this place to vary as much as the level of the
Mississippi River, depending on the date observed.  From the Explanatory
notes of my edition, Huck's passing Cairo would have been between 1835
and 1845.  The year 1835 saw the beginning of the second, and ultimately
failed, attempt to built a city on this dynamic piece of land at the
confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/