Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:51:54 -0400
From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
The letter from Williams remarkably became ‘true’ in 1908 when another burglar named Williams broke into Stormfield, and soon after wrote a similarly penitent letter to Clemens from prison. As MT wrote:

“…the ancient Williams was a burglar, this present Williams was a burglar; the ancient Williams was sent up for nine years and the same thing happened to this present Williams two or three weeks ago; the tone of sweet repentance and pious sentimentality observable in the ancient letter pervades this present one. I wonder if penitentiary people always get to feeling like that.” (Autobiographical Dictation 8 Dec 1908)

Hope you are having a nice evening of St Patrick’s Day,
Taylor