Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:32:18 +0300
From:
Steve Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
I do not understand the intense perpetual attention focused on whether Twain was a flawed or brilliant writer.

How do we define failure? On many counts Clemens the man was very successful. As Aristotle said, "the whole is more than the sum of its parts." Applies in spades to Clemens. As well, when academics examine Twain's works based on literary theories post-Twain, well of course his works can be picked apart quite easily. Did Clemens himself have the benefit of attending creative writing courses, or did he take any writing courses at all? I know that he honed his "art" as a typesetter and reporter in the 19th century. But his literary educators, if I recall correctly, were among the slave families he spent his early youth with listening to their oral stories.

If taken in the contexts of Clemens' day his writing was exceptional. His "stories" are amazing. If he had appeared on the landscape today, writing about today's world, how different would his writing be if he had honed his skills at Stanford or even the local community college?

Steve Crawford