Sender:
From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:32:00 -0500
Awhile back, an email correspondent with a Finnish email name,  SisuSuku,
sent me the following, inquiring as to whether I though Twain  had
plagiarized the passage. My response at the time was that he embellished a  good
idea, using a concept borrowed from another. Not literal  plagiarism, and
something often done by writers. It doesn't mean Twain had  not seen the effect;
simply that the "balloon voyages" concept was not  original to him. I don't
see it as plagiarism. But I would appreciate  Comment from others.   Bob
Stewart

In the December, 1868,  Overland Monthly., Ben Avery wrote:
"[The water of Lake Tahoe] is wonderfully  transparent, and the sensation
upon floating over and gazing into its still  bosom, where the gray granite
bowlders can be seen far, far below, and large  trout dart swiftly, incapable
of concealment, is almost akin to that one might  feel in a balloon above
the earth. The color of the water changes with its  depth, from a light
blueish green near the shore, to a darker green further out,  and finally to a
blue so deep that artists hardly dare put it on canvas. . .  ."

In Roughing It (1872) Twain wrote:
"So singularly  clear was the water, that where it was only twenty or
thirty feet deep the  bottom was so perfectly distinct that the boat seemed
floating in the air! Yes,  where it was even eighty feet deep. Every little
pebble was distinct, every  speckled trout, every hand's- breadth of sand. Often,
as we lay on our faces, a  granite boulder, as large as a village church,
would start out of the bottom  apparently, and seem climbing up rapidly to
the surface, till presently it  threatened to touch our faces, and we could
not resist the impulse to seize an  oar and avert the danger. But the boat
would float on, and the boulder descend  again, and then we could see that when
we had been exactly above it, it must  still have been twenty or thirty
feet below the surface. Down through the  transparency of these great depths,
the water was not merely transparent, but  dazzlingly, brilliantly so. All
objects seen through it had a bright, strong  vividness, not only of outline,
but of every minute detail, which they would not  have had when seen simply
through the same depth of atmosphere. So empty and  airy did all spaces seem
below us, and so strong was the sense of floating high  aloft in
mid-nothingness, that we called these boat-excursions  'balloon-voyages.' "