Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2016 08:30:23 -0400
From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
In his eulogy to Adam standing at the "tomb of Adam" in *Innocents
Abroad,* Chapter
XXVI, Mark Twain writes,

"How touching it was, here in a land of strangers, far away from home, and
friends, and all who cared for me, thus to discover the grave of a blood
relation.... Noble old man--he did not live to see me--he did not live to
see his child.  And I--I--alas, I did not live to see *him*.  Weighed down
by sorrow and disappointment, he died before I was born--six thousand brief
summers before I was born.  But let us try to bear it with fortitude.  Let
us trust that he is better off where he is.  Let us take comfort that his
loss is our eternal gain."

He formed a deep attachment to Adam, as other writings outside the Adamic
ones, such as his proposal--soliciting funds--to build a monument to the
ancestor, testify.

--
John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English