From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:46:02 -0500
On 4/16/07 1:19 PM, "David H Fears" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It would seem to me that only chuckleheaded  mule-drivers would argue the
> book is racist-

Well-  with all due respect that kind of statement strikes me as itself
wrongheaded.

Lots of non mule drivers find the book racist.  Lots of them are African
Americans, and I would lobby for taking their views seriously--even if I may
have reservations about those views.

I like the idea that Huck Finn is both racist and non-racist.  Long live
Derrida!

Ps -- CNN is now saying at least 31 are dead at Virginia Tech, over 28
injured, and it is now being called the largest mass murder in American
history.

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO