From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:54:30 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/2007 12:30:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I am an  African American who has spoken for the novel as being non-
racist. No  where I have been around the country, speaking to all
races, have I  encountered opposition when we discuss what the novel
actually says  and renders.

Respectfully,
Jocelyn A,  Chadwick

I appreciate your views on this question, and note the  difference being
"actually says and renders." Fiction, especially great fiction,  may
"render" a
wide diversity of reader reaction. I recall a class on *Lolita*  which some
students felt was merely a book about pedophilia.  I suspect the  flap about
HF
has to do more with a word many find distasteful today, than it  has to do
with
true issues of racism.

I was speaking with Dr. Tenney earlier today and we  observed that racism
was
a matter of judgment of the heart.  Whatever  else he was or wasn't,
whatever
qualities Sam owned or lacked, I've never seen  any convincing proof that he
lacked a good strong resilient heart. Why else  would Huck declare he'd go
hell rather than betray Jim? Would a racist put  that in the book?

I suspect these questions can never be definitively  answered to everyone's
satisfaction.  One question I'd like to pose: Where  was Livy when it came
editing the proofs of HF?  Wouldn't she have  lobbied for the term to be
struck?

DHF