Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:16:04 -0800
Like Larry and Gregg, I deeply respect Alan's work and have benefited many times
from the depth of his scholarship.  But I have read the excerpt of the
introduction that the publisher has put online
(http://www.newsouthbooks.com/twain/introduction-alan-gribben-mark-twain-tom-sawyer-huckleberry-finn-newsouth-books.html),
 and while I respect Alan's position and his stated intention, I have to say
that I disagree that this edition will achieve his goals--and I deeply fear that
it will, in some cases, achieve precisely the opposite effect.

I've known many students and many adult readers who have been hurt by the way
_Huck Finn_ was taught to them . . . and the attitudes that underlie that way
will not change just because some of the language does.  A teacher who cannot
handle teaching the books sensitively with the racial epithets intact in the
text will not be able to teach the book sensitively without them.  Racism is not
just in a word, but in the attitudes that underlie its use--or its avoidance.

Please understand that I am not suggesting--by any stretch of the
imagination--that Alan is racist.  What I am suggesting, though, is that

students are hurt not simply by the use of this word, but by the climate of the
classroom.  And that climate will be unaffected by the change.  If the classroom
is (even unintentionally) a hurtful or unsafe place, it will remain so.  If the
classroom is a safe and respectful place, it will remain so.

It can be terrifying to tackle a difficult text with our students, especially if
we teach in a place where we know that the prevailing situation is volatile.
This past semester, I had to work to stimulate the critical faculties of a
white, male student from rural Georgia who argued that Jim's whole problem was
that he didn't know when he had it good and he should have stayed with Miss
Watson, where he was pampered and cared for.  In the same classroom, I had a
student who almost dropped the course when she saw we were reading _Huckleberry
Finn_ because she'd been deeply hurt by it in a high school class and didn't
want to face that again.  In her course evaluation, she told me how grateful she
was

that she had stayed in the class, and how much she'd actually enjoyed everything
that we read (and _Huck_ was by no means the only text that used racial
epithets).  The other student (I'm pretty sure) wrote that we spent too much
time talking about historical facts.  Pesky things, facts.

Changing the "n-word" to "slave" wouldn't have changed the difficulty of trying
to help both of those students to grow.   Or the difficulty of making sure that
one student's gestures toward growth didn't cause pain to the other.

But it might actually have made it harder:  I'm afraid that slavery is by no
means "recognized globally as an affront to humanity" (Gribben, "An excerpt from
the editor's introduction"), nor are the secession balls and other examples
Jocelyn mentioned the only remnant of its legacy. Yet even my student who was
convinced that slaves had a good life knew that casually referring to a black
man as "nigger" was a dangerous and unacceptable act. And that gave us an
opening to talk about the underlying issues and historical realities.

If we're going to teach the topics that matter, I don't see any way out but to
follow Lou's advice and "Keep biting the bullet."

Sharon