From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2022 19:52:35 -0400
Hi Scott:

Clemens' financial problems and the Pullman Strike were embroiled
within the same financial Panic of 1893 and affected many people and
industries. Clemens may not have willfully avoided discussing the
Pullman Strike with Rogers--though, if he had, it would have been
understandable considering that they had only met in Sep 1893, and
that Rogers had been rendering crucial business help to Clemens.

However, the strike of May–July 1894 also occurred when Clemens and
Rogers had some serious problems of their own: Charles L Webster & Co
declared bankruptcy in April, and Rogers' wife died in May. Clemens
also returned to Europe at that time, where Susy was very ill. To add
further distraction, the Clemenses were in France in June when the
President was assassinated, which led to mobs of rioters. In these
circumstances, I would not be surprised if Clemens had missed the
far-away Pullman Strike.

As Barb said, there is no mention of it in the correspondence with
Rogers, but maybe Clemens wrote something about it later, to someone
else?

"We live in strange times." (SLC to HHR 25 Jun 1894)

--Taylor