From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:32:30 -0600
I have been in contact with Terrell Dempsey, who is Secretary of the
Hannibal Historic District Development Commission.  Below are some of his
recent comments, in which he has approached me about making an appearance
at some public meetings on the issues posted earlier this month (on Sept.
9):

"We are meeting tomorrow night [note:  meaning Monday the 27th] with the
Mark Twain Home Foundation.  I will be in contact with you after the
meeting to let you know what lies ahead.  I believe the issue will go to
the City Zoning Commission, then to the City Council.  If it looks like we
are going to have a hearing or public meeting, would you be interested in
driving up?  We could sure use your expertise.  I don't think anyone up
here knows about The Old Ship of
Zion Church.  We are long on tourism and short on research in Hannibal!"

The reference to Old Ship of Zion is in reference to my mention of Sammy's
earliest church experiences.  The long and the short of it is-- I have been
asked, and I may be able to go to some meeting[s] in the near future --
although I am a bit uncertain how to respond to their questions, etc.

In hopes of representing as best as possible the heart and soul of the
Twain community, I am asking those interested in the Hannibal preservation
issues to send to me personally any notes or ideas about these issues.  If
possible, please forward to me anything you may have sent to Dempsey, or
even other materials that you think may be of use, should I be dragged
before the bureaucrats posing as some sort of authority, and so on. . . .

Dr. Harold K. Bush
Saint Louis University