From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:42:26 -0500
A researcher has written seeking information regarding any connections
between "Father of the American Band"  Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore
(1829-1892) and Mark Twain.

In a letter to the Alta California published July 25, 1869 Twain writes
about his first visit to Boston:

"As it was early March that I was there, I cannot say anything about the
great Peace Jubilee, for that enterprise had hardly been thought of at that
time, in fact, I did not suggest it to Gilmore until about the first of
April."

Twain mentions Gilmore's Boston Peace Jubilee again in the Galaxy in July
1870 in his column "Unburlesquable Things."

Any other citations or references in Twain's writings to Patrick S. Gilmore
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Barb