From:
Michael Kiskis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:18:19 -0500
A couple of observations.

About what the present controversy means for *Huck Finn.  *The work will
stand despite any and all attempts to change some readers' relationship to
it.  Not everyone will embrace the book or its author.  And that's ok.  No
writer worth his or her salt expects universal acclaim.  And Twain knew the
risks, both within his own time and in regard to his legacy.  Some
perspective is in order.  In a very real way we react differently to the
book than Twain's contemporaries.  That is how it should be.  What we need
to do is take a collective breath and recognize that change is inherent in
any culture's relationship to its writers and their work.  This too shall
pass.

About the question of a "dean" of Twain scholars.  We do all of ourselves a
disservice if we think that it's necessary to crown any one person the
"dean" of our field.  Let's be adult and stay clear of these kinds of titles
and honors.  The work done by any number of individuals stands in strong
relief -- and all of our work is, in a genuine sense, collaborative.  And
let's also be clear -- Alan chose to do this work.  The work IS his
explanation.  There is nothing more to be said.  Besides, if you have read
the introduction to his edition or seen any of the interviews that he has
done, there is a clarity in his position.  We may disagree with it.  We may
want his position to be different.  But it's there in the work.  And let's
stop being disappointed in an individual because he has taken a different
scholarly path and let's stop thinking that his is now an apostate.  Accept
this.  And move on.

Michael

--
Michael J. Kiskis
Leonard Tydings Grant Professor of American Literature