From:
"Quirk, Thomas V." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:20:35 +0000
Cyril Clemens was an eccentric but a canny one.  There were dozens and
dozens of vice presidents in the Society.  So far as I can tell their only
duty was to write a letter complimenting or celebrating Mark Twain.  Among
those who wrote such letters were F. Scott Fitzgerald, Willa Cather,every
U.S. President from FDR to Nixon, and he even got one from Mussolini.
Quarry Farm has the largest set of the journals I have seen, but I don't
know if it is complete.  I don't recall seeing one from Chesterton but that
doesn't mean anything; it is a safe bet that the letter would be reprinted
(sometimes in facsimile) in a prominent place, such as the back cover.
Perhaps someone in Elmira could go through their issues and look.  At any
rate, it would be nice to have a list of those notables who wrote "tributes"
(to use Huck's term) to Twain.

Tom Quirk