From:
"Robert H. HIRST" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 11:53:35 -0700
Just to confirm, Clemens dated his letter to Pond "Bos  Nov11/84." We won't
know until we do the annotation for these letters, and maybe we'll never
know, whether Clemens misdated his letter, or really was in Boston after
the Lowell lecture. As Carl just pointed out, these cities weren't far
apart, and easily accessible by regular trains. So it is entirely possible
Clemens went to Boston after the Lowell lecture, and returned to Melrose
(which is even nearer than Lowell) the next day. One hint: Livy's 11
November 1884 letter to SLC is addressed to him at the Parker House,
Boston. Stay tuned.

Bob Hirst