From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2017 12:26:34 -0400
What about Colonel Sherburn? He is a man who thinks he is a
gentleman,misinterprets the Gentleman's Code by threatening and challenging
a harmless drunk, shooting the unarmed man in the street, and then
arrogantly browbeats a lynch mob into submission as though their arrival
outside his (presumably white) house had nothing to do with the earlier
incident but was an intrusion upon his right to do as he will, as though he
is a different person from the one who took law into his own hands as the
mob was about to do, a man whose behavior depends upon his circumstances,
not the rights of others.  Others must follow the law; he makes his own.

--
John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English