SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Debra Lafler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:38:55 -0600
Regarding the correlation between long life and school (I apologize if any
of these comments are redundant or obvious. I joined the listserv in the
middle of the discussion).

We may want to consider the following....

A professor of mine used to say:
"Just because eating ice cream is highly correlated with hot outside
temperatures, we can't say that one really causes the other." Correlation is
not always causal. Other factors may have to come into play.

So with education, we need to consider all the factors that come into play
for people as they travel the education train. Some things might include:

EXPOSURE TO PEOPLE & OTHER SOCIAL PRACTICES
- exposure to more people, including people with various backgrounds
(this could be the ticket for people from lower income and lower educational
family/social backgrounds - once in school, with others from more educated,
more financially stable families/social systems - the exposure of those
things can increase and positively influence people, such as different
nutrition habits/choices, different views on priorities, different
restaurants to go to, and so on.

EXPOSURE TO TOPICS, READING, CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS, ETC.
- exposure to more topics, readings, projects, research, and so on
- increases in critical thinking skills
- increases in scientific thought and evaluation
- increases in reading higher level materials, such as research papers
- increases in understanding of socio-cultural-political systems
- increases in understanding of business-marketing-advertising markets
- increase in general literacy, and therefore comprehension of topics
written in magazines, books, in ads, and so on.
(This exposure and practice can create skills that transform how people
read, comprehend and evaluate every day information from media, advertising,
books, the internet, and so on.)

EXPOSURE TO HEALTH AND SOCIAL ISSUES WHILE AT COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
- Further in colleges/universities today, student affairs and student health
departments are growing in the education and services for students -
students today are exposed to various health and social issues starting at
orientation, including education and support for alcohol and drug use,
impaired driving, sexual/reproductive health, relationships, safer sex,
nutrition, fitness, emotional/behavioral health (depression, anxiety, eating
disorders, etc.) [With this exposure on campus with peers, increases in
general health habits, understanding of self and social health issues, and
choices.]

USING THE BRAIN
- we cant forget that just using the brain, participating in education,
reading, critical thinking, and so on - has been shown to be related to
living longer as well.

SALARY & FINANCIAL ABILITY
- as education level increases, so does salary, and with salary increases,
so goes the availability of higher cost foods, restaurants, health food
stores, vitamins, private fitness classes or training, and so on.
- but equally, with salary increases, increases the chances that people will
be in positions where they are exposed to others from various social and
financial backgrounds, possibly supporting healthier choices.
- and to be "included" as part of this higher social class, the need to know
about certain topics, do certain things/participate in certain behaviors,
including health behaviors increases.

SALARY, EMPLOYEMENT & WHERE ONE LIVES & SOCIAL STATUS
- as educational level increases, employment options increase in
metropolitan areas, and neighborhoods that may require higher incomes to
support living - including house prices, and neighborhood prices (foods,
materials, services, etc.)
- again with exposure to certain social neighborhoods, so does the exposure
and social support for participating in lifestyle habits
- as one raises in social status, so does the social influence to also
participate in more lifestyle issues that can positively influence life span
(friendship, education, critical thinking, health and behavior services,
nutrition and physical activity choices, and so on).

NUTRITION & PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- related to salary, as one can afford it, and are around others that eat or
participate in certain activities, so do their own habits
- as nutrition and physical activity increase, all the health benefits
follow including physical and psychological well being.

Well, I am sure more can be said.....

I just wanted to share some thoughts.....

Very interesting topic!

Debra Lafler, MA
Madison, WI