SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:27:01 +0930
Hi Denis
It is hard to pin these down!

I think Wilkinson & Pickett would fit into row 3 in your table, but they
focus on one particular pathway: psychosocial stress.

The WHOCSDH 2008 report seems inconsistent to me.
On page 1, it says:
This unequal distribution of health-damaging experiences is not in any sense
a 'natural' phenomenon but is the result of a toxic combination of poor
social policies and programmes, unfair economic arrangements, and bad
politics.
More strongly, on page 31 it says: 'This unequal distribution is not in any
sense a 'natural' phenomenon but is the result of policies that prize the
interests of some over those of others - all too often of a rich and
powerful minority over the interests of a disempowered majority.'
So to me it bridges 5 to 7 in your table.
But on page 42 it identifies the structural drivers as:
. the nature and degree of social stratification in society - the magnitude
of inequity along the dimensions listed;
. biases, norms, and values within society;
. global and national economic and social policy;
. processes of governance at the global, national, and local level.
Notably, policy and governance are 3rd and 4th in the list. I think order
matters a lot.
Listing social stratification first, and biases etc. second, *does* imply a
natural phenomenon to me.
Also it seems inconsistent about what social determinants of health means.
Page 1: 'Together, the structural determinants and conditions of daily life
constitute the social determinants of health and are responsible for a major
part of health inequities between and within countries.'
But page 26: 'Daily living conditions, themselves the result of these
structural drivers, together constitute the social determinants of health.'
Read literally, this restricts SDH to daily living conditions, not the
structural drivers per se - maybe an editorial mistake?
This is reinforced by the fact that on page 42 it says:
'This framework suggests that interventions can be aimed at taking action
on:
The circumstances of daily life:
.
And the structural drivers:
.'
Again I think order matters, and I think the recommendations will be
operationalised primarily as focusing on daily living conditions, with the
structural drivers as an afterthought.

Melissa