SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Mark Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:31:45 +1100
examples internationally and it is great to see in australia some real
thinking around this here. The difficulty i see is choosing indicators
that are reflective of our ability to act at a local level rather than
civic indicators that may reflect the impact of state or federal policy
inputs. In australia, for example, housing affordability is more a
reflection of poor state and federal policies for us, so there are less
community level indicators that are necessarily useful to measure that
can prompt us to act.

At ICLEI Oceania, we have just developed an inventory that outlines what
data is useful to measure to manage alcohol-related harms at the place
level (i.e. municipal/local government level).

We have included some "social determinants" relevant to this specific
subject, and over time plan to replicate the approach for other key
areas of health, until we have a common set of determinants-level
indicators for safe and health cities/regional centres/rural towns.

Our indicators at the community level have been selected based on
datasets that are amenable to local action, so for alcohol responses for
example, we looked through the "place-based determinants" of alcohol and
identified diversity of businesses operating in the night-time economy,
late night pubic transport access, alcohol outlet density, etc as key
indicators at the community level.

We have also applied an equity lens to this work so that we know when we
should analyse the data about these "determinants" by area-level
disadvantage and when by sub-populations facing the greatest inequity.

There is a bit more information here:
http://www.iclei.org/index.php?id=9214

Happy to discuss the methodology further, i am now using a similar
method for whole-of-community rather than just through a
municipal/place-based "determinants" filter.
m.
--
Mark Boyd
Director - Cities for Safe and Healthy Communities

Level 5, 267 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000

Ph: 03 9660 2224
Mob: 0403 204 394
Web: www.iclei.org/oceania/cshc